I’m going to talk again about a common vulnerability that affects many applications, as not a lot of us can notice it, so I hope you like this writeup.
One of the most important recon steps to me is reading the website products, blogs, support portal, engineering blog, etc. So what caught my attention is that some popular SaaS companies are offering paid premium plan to students for free, and maybe with a little bit of search you’ll find dozens of websites that offers this education plan.
And when you find a website that offers education plan for students, You’ll find that they’re processing student requests through two ways.
- The first way is processing students applications manually, That’s being said. You as a student to get this free education plan, You should submit your university ID to their email address and someone from their team will review your application and after that, he will enable the education plan on your account. companies like Slack, Github depends on this way.
- Second method and this is the focus of my writeup, some websites and the most are processing students plan verification process automatically. This simply happens by register your account with emails like email@example.com and when you verify your email, education plan will be enabled on your account directly. So only emails that end with (edu) are being accepted.
The story started when I was reading the support articles of a private program that I have been invited to it, and I have found them wrote that any student can get their gold premium plan for free ( This plan worth $1500 per month )
So I found that you can’t register your account through this page otherwise with emails like ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) and after you sign up successfully, website will send a confirmation link to your email and you can’t access the website without it. frustrating thing, right?
After trying to access the account I registered without the confirmation link, this didn’t work and I thought on another way to bypass.
So before I write about how I bypassed this and got the premium plan for free, I would like to write brief about a feature on this website. When you register an account on the website you can create your own workspace/company profile on your account and invite others to collaborate with you to design together.
From here I tried to invite my test account to my own company. After I did that, I received the following invitation link:
Note: When you create your account through this invitation link, Website will not require from you to confirm your email because its already confirmed by the invitation link.
After I opened the invitation link, I have found that my invited email address is being reflected on the signup page
So I asked myself based on what the email address gets printed on the page? and what If I changed the invitation token parameter to the ID of any user? Maybe we get email disclosure vulnerability? Quickly I sent this get request to server to list the account ID of my test account I have invited to my company
Accept: application/json, text/plain, */*
Origin: https:// redacted.com
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/57.0.2987.133 Safari/537.36
Then I replaced the invitation token on the URL with EntryID of invited the test account. so the final URL would be
What happened after that? I found that the application is still printing the email of the invited account on the page. That’s mean I have a valid invitation token. so I registered the test account with EntryID value instead of invitation token and by this we I bypassed the email verification of education accounts through replacing invitation tokens with EntryID parameter value.
So here is the steps that I got the education plan by although I’m not a student
- I have invited my random email (email@example.com) to the company profile I own
- From the same account I issued a GET request to company users endpoint to get the ID of firstname.lastname@example.org account
- After I got the EntryID I pasted it on this URL
- After I created the account successfully and verified it using invitation URL. I activated the education plan on my email@example.com account easily and got premium plan that worth $1500 per month for free!
How this has been fixed?
After I reported this issue, The website converted processing students applications from automatically to manually method like reset websites.